Sunday, November 20, 2011

School Days

I've heard a lot of parents say that the time just flew until their oldest kid went to the first day of school. And I'm sure that's true. But for us, the day came a little sooner than we were planning. We decided to put Elliott into a school for kids with developmental delays. And it was a really tough decision for us. We worried about sending him into the "real world" when he was so young, and we worried about him not being able to talk, and we worried about what would happen when he was around other kids with delays. But we decided to do it, and so the day came (a couple years earlier than we once thought!) and Elliott had his first day of school.

Poor kid. He didn't even know what he was getting into.


And, I am happy to report, it has been really good for him. Elliott walks in like he owns the place, throws his backpack and jacket in the cubby, and runs over to the play area. His teachers love him, and of course Elliott loves to participate in music time. And he loves to come home and show off his new dance moves.

And, just so you don't worry, we still have time to teach him other things, like dressing himself:


(that was all him--no help from either parent), and self-imposed piano lessons:


Good luck, Elliott--only fifteen more years of school to go! Until college, at least . . .

2 comments:

  1. Elliott is so adorable. I'm so glad he's loving school and doing so well. And that picture of him at the piano is priceless. What a cutie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad he gets to go to school-- it's such a great opportunity. Evey has been going to her developmentally delayed class for a few years now and she still loves it!

    ReplyDelete